The Ohio Fire Code, Ohio Revised Code, and City of Solon Ordinances allow for small recreational fires on residential property under the following conditions:
1. The fires are fueled with seasoned firewood, natural gas, or other clean burning fuel with the emissions that are equivalent to or lower than those created by burning seasoned firewood.
2. The fires are for recreational purposes only, such as, cooking, pleasure, warmth, or similar purposes. Burning of yard waste, landscape waste, or garbage is not allowed.
3. The fuel area for the fire shall be less than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height.
4. The fires are to be constantly attended with a fire extinguisher or other means of extinguishment (such as a garden hose) readily available.
5. The Ohio Fire Code’s guidelines for proper distances from a structure are followed. These guidelines vary bases on whether the fire is contained in a fire pit, portable outdoor fireplace, or uncontained in open burning type of situation. Please contact Solon Fire Prevention Bureau at 440-337-1482 for more information.
· Although recreational fires are allowed on residential property, Solon Fire Department requests that you be courteous and respectful to your neighbor as some individuals have sensitivity to smoke due to an underlying health condition.
· Under certain circumstances, larger bonfires up to 5 feet in diameter and 5 feet in height are allowed but require prior approval from the Ohio EPA and an approved permit from Solon Fire Department. Please contact Solon Fire Prevention Bureau at 440-337-1482 for more information.
· Please review Ohio Fire Code Section 307, Ohio Revised Code Section 1503.18, and City of Solon Ordinance 660.08 for more information.